Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Casi Muerto

This has been a very crazy few weeks filled with rehearsals, remembering the dead, shows, driving, and a lot of drinking. It's over now, and I can breath... somehow.

On Sunday, November 8th I took part in the filming of "Flor De Muertos;" a film documenting the All Souls Procession that happens every year in downtown Tucson. The Procession was fallowed this year by a performance by Calexico and friends at The Rialto Theater. I had the great honor of performing a new song of mine, entitled "None Of This Is Mine," with Calexico as well as joining them on a few of their songs. It was a great night to say the least.

Performing "None Of This Is Mine" with Calexico


I spent the next day rehearsing for a two day Borderland trip with two musicians who had never played my music with me 'till that day. To no surprise, Clay Coweek and Eric Parisi picked it all up damn fast and before we knew it we were off to Texas. We played Lubbock, Las Cruces and Tucson with our friends in Tumbledown House and had a blast. Driving along I-10, through El Paso especially, is a drive that haunts you everytime. Seeing Juarez only a hundred yards away really puts things in perspective.

Claw Coweek, Gabriel Sullivan, Eric Parisi


Sunset over Juarez, Mexico


Live at El Patio, Las Cruces, NM


The next few weeks will be dedicated to prying some new songs out of my recently acquired bajo sexto. The woods so damn thick there must be a hundred songs hidden in there.

Gabriel Sullivan
Tucson, AZ 11/18/09

No comments:

Post a Comment